Janet S. on BBB
3 years ago
08/10/2017, 01:35 AM
I am a home owner in San Francisco and I contacted *** ***** Restoration Company to have the exterior of my home painted in December 2015. In March 2016 they came out to estimate the job and the work began in May 2016.
I used them to paint the exterior of my house once before and they did a terrific job so I gladly accepted their bid with no questions. I had researched their jobs the first time I used them and received high recommendations at the time, so I felt that I was still dealing with a high caliber company that had a great reputation working for large city jobs in restoration.
After a five month wait, I was becoming anxious to get the job started, as I was under pressure to get the rental space in my home re-rented. I continued to ask them for their warranty which they promised and they stated that they were waiting on the paint company, Sherwin-Williams, to come out to look at the property before they could give me the warranty. They had told me that they would warrant the job for 3 years, but I asked them for a 5 year warranty, so they said this would delay the process and that they had to check with the paint company first before they could give me this ok. Although I had never heard of this before, I gave my ok to start the paint job on 5/7/16, as I assumed it was just a formality to get the warranty signed and sealed.
What I didn't realize at the time was that the warranty they were planning to give me was from the paint company. They underhandedly did not intend to warrant their own workmanship. So, making a long story short, the paint failed the first two weeks following the completion of the job. The paint began to peel from the garage doors and bubble on the sides, the galvanized steel gate began to oxidize and turn white and the patio started to bubble in several places and show rust spots around the drain. I told their job supervisor ***** *******, but he said he needed to get the paint company out to look at it to determine what went wrong. Months went by, I kept texting him and he said that they were still waiting on the paint company to come out to look at the job, but then it started to rain.
I kept in touch by text with the supervisor, ***** *******, and he kept advising me that they would be out soon to make the repairs, as soon as it stopped raining. I waited until the rain stopped and texted *****, but was told that he had left the company and that I should contact the owner, Tom Lewis.
*** ***** then continued the same dialog, that they were really busy and that I would be on their schedule for that month. Then that month would pass and I would have to email him again asking him why he hadn't made the fixes. He assured me that I was on their schedule, but never came out. His last email was at the end of June 2017, saying he would be out in July. I have not heard from him since then.
I spent over $20,000.00 on this job and feel as if I have been deceived by a very clever sales ploy. As a side note, during the project I got letters from the city insisting on $1,000/day because they did not pull permits. ***** ******* was on vacation and *** ***** wasn't getting back to me. I understand he straightened this all out by going to court, but it only can give you an inkling of what shenanigans has been going on during this project.
His motto should be "get the money and run".