zariph p. on BirdEye
a year ago
07/22/2020, 13:35 PM
I had a bad experience with Top Shed and would not recommend them. Before hiring top shed I received 4 bids and Top Shed was definitely the lowest and their reviews seemed to be the highest, so I thought it was a safe bet. Cohen was easy to talk with and overall a nice guy. My shed was large (16’ x 23’) with a covered porch (7’ x 23’), 10 foot walls and a large dormer. This made the job complex and Top Shed might be good for small shed projects that are less complex.
- Owner is easy to talk with and tries to please the customer.
- Price is much lower than competition.
- Eventually they did fix all the issues that were fixable.
- Workers are inexperienced and often working without someone there with proper knowledge.
- Workers do not check for plumb, level or square until after the roof is on and then try to fix it.
- Much of wood and studs used is warped and caused bows in the walls that are beyond normal tolerances.
- Sloppy paint job with drips everywhere. Workers scratched up cement cleaning up paint splatter.
- Lack of communication. I rarely knew what days they were coming and what days they were not.
- Significant re-work to get the structure properly built. Had to cut off anchors twice that were drilled into cement. Also, had to rebuild walls.
- Had to lift shed with jack and put in wedge pieces. This was due to a slight slope in the cement which was not Top Shed’s fault, but would have been a lot easier if they would have identifies the issue earlier when putting up the walls.
- Chunks taken out of cement by dropped tools (4 areas and this was new cement that had cured for over a month).
- Drinking alcohol on the jobsite.
- Project took over 1 month and originally was going to be done in less than 1 week. I was more interested in quality so this did not bug me too much, but the communication of the delay could have been better communicated.
Overall the shed did get built and I’m ok with it for the price, but I would not hire them again if I could go back and do it again. I’m glad that they were able to fix most issues I brought up, but it was definitely a stressful process and some items I just decided it would be easier to fix myself rather than having them try to fix it based on their lack of knowledge.